Take your writing to the next levelPerfect for writers who need love, support, and a kick in the pants. Stay on track!
Love Your CharactersSelf-Guided Workshop Course
- Fall in love with your characters and your readers will, too. This self-guided workshop includes videos, exercises, and how-tos. It’s set to be released by the end of summer. Pre-order and receive a $24 discount.
First 10 Pages (Novel)Deep Dive Coaching
Perfect for more polished drafts! (A novel’s 1st ten pages.)
Take a deep-dive into your novel’s opening pages with a line-by-line edit.
Discover the top critical issues that may prevent your story from getting more readers or an agent’s attention.
We’ll suggest revisions and give detailed explanations with examples.
Save time. Save money. Get it right from the get-go!
Monthly CoachingCreative Writing Instruction
- The fastest way to better your craft and storytelling skills.
- Do you need or want extra attention and guidance from a personal coach?
- Submit 25 pages of fiction or 8 poems a month.
- Monthly coaching includes up to two revisions a month, unlimited email access, and a one-hour (or more) phone conversation.
- Save by purchasing multiple months in advance.
- Write your novel in a year!
Novel EvaluationEconomical Alternative
- Perfect eval before working one-on-one with an editorial coach.
- Evaluations look at big-ticket items, such as compelling storyline, strong structure, engaging character arcs.
- Comes with a write-up and a one-hour (or more) phone conversation.
- Get the kind of feedback that goes beyond workshop critiques,
- Save time. Save money.Get your novel on the right track.
- For novels up to approximately 400 pages.
ONE-ON-ONEComprehensive Editorial Coaching
- Get your work ready for an agent or publication.
- We’ll suggest tweaks to structure, pacing, and craft,
- pinpoint critical issues and show you how to fix them,
- give detailed explanations with examples,
- help you say what you really want to say, and
- set up your novel for success.
- Together we will determine what is best for your needs.
I have thoroughly enjoyed working one-on-one with Val Mathews. The editing process is so helpful to me as a writer. I completely trust Val’s judgment and spot-on suggestions. Her skills as an editor have made my stories stronger. I highly recommend The Exit 271 Studio to anyone looking for editing services.Cynthia Wilson
I have to say that, looking at the final versions with all of the suggestions incorporated, I am extremely proud of these two poems. I was thinking of TS Eliot’s comment about Ezra Pound (though I am no Eliot and these are certainly not The Wasteland!): il miglior fabbro, meaning the better maker. Your staff certainly qualify for that label. Thank you for your generosity in time and effort.Robert Covel
Every time I work with Val and her team, I learn an immense amount about the craft of writing. They cheer me on while keeping me on track, which is invaluable to an author. Knowing I have a group of experienced and encouraging editors in my corner gives me the confidence to continue my writing journey.Eliza Peake
We're your biggest fans!
The Exit 271 crew is a small group of nurturing editors who make revision fun. We'll kick you in the rear but be your biggest cheerleaders, too. Along with editing the Exit 271 digital magazine for the Georgia Writers Association, we work one-on-one with writers at all levels on any type of project. Contact us, and let's chat.