Take your writing to the next levelPerfect for writers who need love, support, and a kick in the pants. Stay on track!
First 10 Pages (Novel)Line-by-Line Coaching
- Perfect for more polished drafts! (A novel’s 1st ten pages.)
- Take a deep-dive into your novel’s opening pages with a line-by-line edit.
- Discover the top critical issues that may prevent your story from getting more readers or an agent’s attention.
- We’ll suggest revisions and give detailed explanations with examples.
- Save time. Save money. Get it right from the get-go!
ONE-ON-ONEComprehensive Editorial Coaching
- Get your work ready for an agent or publication.
- We’ll suggest tweaks to structure, pacing, and craft,
- pinpoint critical issues and show you how to fix them,
- give detailed explanations with examples,
- help you say what you really want to say, and
- set up your novel for success.
- Together we will determine what is best for your needs.
Monthly CoachingCreative Writing Instruction
- The fastest way to better your craft and storytelling skills.
- Do you need or want extra attention and guidance from a personal coach?
- Submit 25 pages of fiction or 8 poems a month.
- Monthly coaching includes up to two revisions a month, unlimited email access, and a one-hour (or more) phone conversation.
- Save by purchasing multiple months in advance.
- Write your novel in a year!
Novel EvaluationEconomical Alternative
- Perfect eval before working one-on-one with an editorial coach.
- Evaluations look at big-ticket items, such as compelling storyline, strong structure, engaging character arcs.
- Comes with a write-up and a one-hour (or more) phone conversation.
- Get the kind of feedback that goes beyond workshop critiques,
- Save time. Save money.Get your novel on the right track.
- For novels up to approximately 400 pages.
Conquer the Boring In Your Storytelling: Keep Your Readers Turning the PageOnline Workshop Experience
- Give your characters a little tough love and give your readers an experience.
- Take your readers on an emotional journey and build fans for life.
- Revise for emotional impact and keep them turning the page.
- Evoke their imaginations, provoke their senses, and evoke their emotions.
- Make your readers (and agents) fall in love with your characters … and you, too!
- COMING SOON! To be released in fall 2018
Val’s most valuable guidance has enabled my characters' dialogue to sound natural and make sense to the reader. Her patient coaching has helped me to restructure and tighten up of the storyline and point of view. Of most significance as a developing writer is Val’s investment in “me,” not just the story. She worked to understand where I am coming from and why the characters are essential. Through our partnership, I have learned to make my characters grow and evolve throughout the story (or blow their heads off).
Andy Carpenter, Blood Creek (out with agents)
At first, Val asked what I expected to accomplish. For me, it was to create a novel that the reader could not put down. She dove into my work, showing me what worked and what didn’t. I soon realized I was drowning in an ocean, but she offered ideas and clarity my story was lacking. It was hard work, but my novel came together. Val’s direction was a critical part of my writing process. No one can ask for a better writing and editorial coach than Val Mathews. I would not consider another writing endeavor without her.
Gary McConville, A Stiff Wind Blows
Preparing my first novel for publication with editor Val M. Mathews was a writing journey of extraordinary value. A notable writing and editorial coach, she possesses a brilliant approach to the smooth exchange of ideas with clients. Val easily gained my trust in our business relationship. Most noteworthy, she made it easy to release my innermost thoughts, emotions, and creative ideas for her critique. Val possesses a formidable talent and ability to help a writer transform his or her manuscript into muscular prose and state-of-the-art literature. Her methods are a powerful exercise in creative doctrine. Highly respected and valued, Valerie delivers splendid results.
John Falcon, The Freedom Shield (summer 2018)
I found my dream editor! Val's sensitivity to my manuscript made it a pleasure to work with her. She knew exactly what had to be cut and what was needed to make my manuscript soar. Val is easy to talk to and her quick turn around time is a huge plus. I can honestly say after working with Val, I have become a better writer and a client for life.
Stephanie Baldi, Redemption (coming out summer 2018)
I have to say that, looking at the final versions with all of the suggestions incorporated, I am extremely proud of these two poems. I was thinking of TS Eliot’s comment about Ezra Pound (though I am no Eliot and these are certainly not The Wasteland!): il miglior fabbro, meaning the better maker. Your staff certainly qualify for that label. Thank you for your generosity in time and effort.
Robert Covel, Poet, Wind Song
After my short story Samuel’s Wife was accepted for publication, Val Mathews worked with me to improve it. Respectful of me as a writer, she suggested no changes that would upset my voice and writing style. With an expert’s eye for detail, Val caught redundancies and irrelevancies, mistakes that muddled the clarity and disrupted the rhythm of the story. I would not hesitate to work with Val again. A true professional, she’s a meticulous editor. I loved working with her and would recommend her to anyone in search of an editor.
Brenda Sutton Rose, Author
Every time I work with Val and her team, I learn an immense amount about the craft of writing. They cheer me on while keeping me on track, which is invaluable to an author. Knowing I have a group of experienced and encouraging editors in my corner gives me the confidence to continue my writing journey.
Eliza Peake, Author
I have thoroughly enjoyed working one-on-one with Val Mathews. The editing process is so helpful to me as a writer. I completely trust Val’s judgment and spot-on suggestions. Her skills as an editor have made my stories stronger. I highly recommend Val and The Exit 271 Studio to anyone looking for editing services.
Cynthia Wilson, Short Story Writer
We're your biggest fans!
The Exit 271 crew is a small group of nurturing editors who make revision fun. We'll kick you in the rear but be your biggest cheerleaders, too. Along with The Editor's Pub online courses, we work one-on-one with writers at all levels on any type of project. Contact us, and let's chat.