Take your writing to the next levelPerfect for writers who need love, support, and a kick in the pants. Stay on track!
Conquer the Boring In Your Storytelling: Keep Your Readers Turning the PageOnline Workshop Experience
- Give your characters a little tough love and give your readers an experience.
- Take your readers on an emotional journey and build fans for life.
- Revise for emotional impact and keep them turning the page.
- Evoke their imaginations, provoke their senses, and evoke their emotions.
- Make your readers (and agents) fall in love with your characters … and you, too!
- To be released in the spring/summer 2018. Preorder and save!
First 10 Pages (Novel)Line-by-Line Coaching
- Perfect for more polished drafts! (A novel’s 1st ten pages.)
- Take a deep-dive into your novel’s opening pages with a line-by-line edit.
- Discover the top critical issues that may prevent your story from getting more readers or an agent’s attention.
- We’ll suggest revisions and give detailed explanations with examples.
- Save time. Save money. Get it right from the get-go!
Monthly CoachingCreative Writing Instruction
- The fastest way to better your craft and storytelling skills.
- Do you need or want extra attention and guidance from a personal coach?
- Submit 25 pages of fiction or 8 poems a month.
- Monthly coaching includes up to two revisions a month, unlimited email access, and a one-hour (or more) phone conversation.
- Save by purchasing multiple months in advance.
- Write your novel in a year!
Novel EvaluationEconomical Alternative
- Perfect eval before working one-on-one with an editorial coach.
- Evaluations look at big-ticket items, such as compelling storyline, strong structure, engaging character arcs.
- Comes with a write-up and a one-hour (or more) phone conversation.
- Get the kind of feedback that goes beyond workshop critiques,
- Save time. Save money.Get your novel on the right track.
- For novels up to approximately 400 pages.
ONE-ON-ONEComprehensive Editorial Coaching
- Get your work ready for an agent or publication.
- We’ll suggest tweaks to structure, pacing, and craft,
- pinpoint critical issues and show you how to fix them,
- give detailed explanations with examples,
- help you say what you really want to say, and
- set up your novel for success.
- Together we will determine what is best for your needs.
After my short story Samuel’s Wife was accepted for publication, Val Mathews worked with me to improve it. Respectful of me as a writer, she suggested no changes that would upset my voice and writing style. With an expert’s eye for detail, Val caught redundancies and irrelevancies, mistakes that muddled the clarity and disrupted the rhythm of the story. I would not hesitate to work with Val again. A true professional, she’s a meticulous editor. I loved working with her and would recommend her to anyone in search of an editor.
I found my dream editor! Val's sensitivity to my manuscript made it a pleasure to work with her. She knew exactly what had to be cut and what was needed to make my manuscript soar. Val is easy to talk to and her quick turn around time is a huge plus. I can honestly say after working with Val, I have become a better writer and a client for life.
I have to say that, looking at the final versions with all of the suggestions incorporated, I am extremely proud of these two poems. I was thinking of TS Eliot’s comment about Ezra Pound (though I am no Eliot and these are certainly not The Wasteland!): il miglior fabbro, meaning the better maker. Your staff certainly qualify for that label. Thank you for your generosity in time and effort.
I have thoroughly enjoyed working one-on-one with Val Mathews. The editing process is so helpful to me as a writer. I completely trust Val’s judgment and spot-on suggestions. Her skills as an editor have made my stories stronger. I highly recommend Val and The Exit 271 Studio to anyone looking for editing services.
Every time I work with Val and her team, I learn an immense amount about the craft of writing. They cheer me on while keeping me on track, which is invaluable to an author. Knowing I have a group of experienced and encouraging editors in my corner gives me the confidence to continue my writing journey.
We're your biggest fans!
The Exit 271 crew is a small group of nurturing editors who make revision fun. We'll kick you in the rear but be your biggest cheerleaders, too. Along with The Editor's Pub online courses, we work one-on-one with writers at all levels on any type of project. Contact us, and let's chat.